Wizards set to finally kill Caw-Blade

Posted on August 17, 2011

2


by Staff

Caw-Blade, a deck using Squadron Hawks and Sword of Feast and Famine to gain card and tempo advantage, has been the menace of Standard for months.  The deck was formerly dubbed “Jace-Mystic” before those cards were banned in an attempt to bring balance to the format.  Every single person who thought the problem had been solved and the format was healthy was forced to reconsider when Todd Anderson won $20,000 with the deck.  Word out of Renton, WA this afternoon was that Wizards of the Coast is setting up to announce another round of bannings.

Sources indicate that the banned cards will be Gideon Jura and Emeria Angel.  Those involved are hoping that by further weakening the support system of Squadron Hawk and Sword of Feast and Famine, the interaction will finally be doomed.  As the theory goes, if you’ve got nothing good to cast when you untap your lands, is the Sword really that powerful?

Critics of the new plan can already be found, speaking out on social media (Twitter, Facebook, NerdDate.gov) and antisocial media (message boards) alike.  The main criticism seems to center around why the card Into the Roil wasn’t touched.  Christian Teagues, 23, of Ann Arbor, MI, said of the proposed changes, “Look, the players know what makes Caw-Go tick, and its not anything that generates a 4-for-1 or a free 1-for-none.  Flashfreeze has got to go.  I said it the first time around, and here we are just weeks later.”

Twitter user @MTGPedoVan69 tweeted “WTF WOTC!? They get 2 keep Spell Peirce!?!  #cawgosux.”

Only time will tell whether any problematic elements of the Caw-Blade deck remain after Emeria Angel and Gideon are gone.  If Todd Anderson and Oscar Flores continue to do well, it’ll be back to the drawing board for Wizards of the Coast.

Posted in: News